St. Joseph Church Camp Springs is a Catholic community of baptized persons who believe in Jesus Christ as Savior and who seek to be strengthened by the Holy Spirit. We are a community that gathers to be fed and nurtured by Word and Sacrament to deepen our relationship with God. To carry on the mission of Jesus Christ and to further his kingdom, we will
strive to build up our faith community by: Worshiping together; Sharing his good news by word and example; Showing care and concern for each other; Offering Catholic education; Reaching out to others especially the deprived and oppressed, the unchurched and other Christians;and Committing to Christian stewardship as a way of life.
To provide vital worship and
promote spiritual growth
To teach and live Catholic beliefs,
traditions and values
To uphold the dignity of human
life by serving the poor and vulnerable
To further commitment to Christian stewardship as a way of life
To promote community development
A log church was built at the bottom of the hill in the current cemetery by German immigrants and was dedicated to St. Joseph. At that time, the church was a mission for Corpus Christi Church, Newport, KY. The cemetery is the final resting place for many of the original German settler of Camp Springs.
St. Joseph became a parish, and an elementary school was established. Today, it is
the longest continuing Catholic elementary school in the Diocese of Covington.
A new church was built and dedicated on June 15, 1865. See photo here. See photo of the old road leading to the church here.
With Corpus Christi Church closes, making St. Joseph the oldest
Catholic church in Campbell County.
Fr. Paul Tenhundfeld, serving as pastor, retires. St. Joseph
welcomes Ft. Gerald Twadell.
Bishop Robert Muench appointed Sr. Mary Kevan Seiber, SND to serve as pastoral administrator until January 2008
Msgr. William Neuhaus served as pastor from 2014-2017.
Fr. Douglas J. Lauer served as pastor from 2017-2018.
Fr. Ryan Stenger has served as pastor since June 11, 2018.
Take a peek inside the Church here.
The original stone school building was built in 1868, and the teacher residence in 1888. See photo here.
A few updates were made inside the church. Banner murals were added above the side altars, and electrical pipes were placed across the top of the pews. See a photo here.
A new school building was built in 1923. Picture is taken in 1957 with Fr. Greskamp standing next to the school. See photo here.
Murals were added in the dome above the high altar. See photo here.
The grotto was built and dedicated on October 28, 1944. Two parishioners lost their lives in World War II: Raymond Gunkel and Elmer Reitman. When the first soldier from our parish was killed, the Pastor made a solemn promise to Our Lady of Lourdes "to erect a shrine in her honor to warch over our boys in the military." Since the promise was made and the grotto was built, there were no more casualties, missing in action, or other adverse reported. A list of the soldiers names from our parish that served in WWII can be found on the Grotto. See photos here, here, and here.
Side altars updated look. See photo here.
Nun Residence is added. See photo here. Now you will no longer find a nun residence, but an outdoor shelter for all of our group gatherings. See photo here.
Rectory updated. See photo here.
Restorations to the Church have begun. See photo here.
Rectory built for priest to live. See photo here.
The church location moved to the current site on top of the hill.
Stained glass windows were donated by parishioners. The church was embellished with iconography artwork, sculptures, plaster work, and murals--mostly painted by Leon Lippert, student of Frank Duveneck.
Interior of the church was extensively remodeled. Most of the artwork was covered or removed. Side altars, Stations of the Cross, pulpit, Communion rail, and ornamental plaster were all removed.